[cfe-dev] ARM contributing to libc++ & libc++abi

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison arnaud.degrandmaison at arm.com
Tue Dec 2 11:03:48 PST 2014

> "necessarily infringed"? Does that mean that if ARM contributes code that
unnecessarily uses ARM-owned patents, people don't get the implicit license
and are liable?

[Caveat: I am not a lawyer] This wording can be found in many common CLA
(contributor licence agreement). With my limited understanding of the patent
parlance, this relates to a kind of transitivity between patents: people
only get the licence for what is in the contribution; for example, the fact
we contribute some code generation stuff (necessarily infringed) does not
give people a licence on the target architecture (unnecessarily infringed).

> Isn't the point to limit patent claims *by* ARM on users of LLVM? I don't
see how this license would limit claims *on* ARM, nor why the project would
care about that. Unless the lawyers have managed to corrupt the meaning of
"on" in this case.

[Caveat: I am not a lawyer] It removes doubts and clarifies the situation,
at least for the lawyers, and this better protects users, LLVM and ARM.
Users get the licence for what we contributed to LLVM,  but not to the
complete patent portfolio. This ultimately benefits the LLVM project, which
does not want to be in the middle of some patent madness.

Best regards,

--

Arnaud