[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Windows debug builds require /bigobj

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Tue Aug 26 13:24:16 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM, David Majnemer
<david.majnemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Samuel Benzaquen <sbenza at google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mmmm, delicious template instantiation. This has come up before, and the
>>> solution was to reduce the complexity of the template to avoid follow-on
>>> instantiations like SmallVector<T>.
>>

>> In many cases, fixing this actually increases complexity of the code.
>> For example, I have a change that removes ~16% of symbols by doing manual
>> pointer deletion instead of using std::unique_ptr<>.
>> I'll send the change for review.
>>
>> wrt whether LLVM should build without the /bigobj flag, that would be for
>> someone else to decide.
>

> I don't see any downside from switching /bigobj on; only ancient VS
> toolchains do not support it.

The last time this topic raised its head, the issue wasn't with
turning on /bigobj (that's supported in MSVC 2005 and up), it was a
question of why there was suddenly 37000 more sections in a single
object file.

If we're bumping up against this limit because of known, valid
reasons, then I think /bigobj makes sense. If we're bumping up against
it because there's a huge influx of sections in the object file, we
may want to look at reducing that to keep build perf sane.

~Aaron