[cfe-dev] Raising LLVM minimum required, 'dumb question'

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Mon Aug 25 16:33:16 PDT 2014

On Aug 25, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> As was mentioned, this is *completely* off topic for the clang developers mailing list. Please discuss this somewhere else.

I don’t really get this.  So here you have people upset with a direction the project is taking….which IS “on topic.” The direction of the project is determined by the existence of a particular problem…which is also apparently “on topic.”  And yet it is “off topic” to ask the very fundamental question: "What is the exact nature and scope of the problem?” How is that rational?

How do you know how to address the problem if you don’t know what exactly what it is?

Or is your opinion that the problem is addressed to your satisfaction and you just want people to quit griping and accept what has been decided..and your approach is just to dismiss the discussion with “off topic”?