[cfe-dev] LLD for ARM

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Aug 22 03:00:59 PDT 2014

On 22 August 2014 00:43, Daniel Dilts <diltsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now I am working a proof of concept at work that I can use Clang and
> associated tools to compile for a bare metal ARM processor (Beaglebone
> Black).  The biggest issue seems to be that we develop on Windows and most
> cross linkers (ld, gold) seem to only want to work on POSIX, which is not
> Windows.  So far I have spent a day fighting binutils to get ld to compile
> on Windows to target ARM.

Nice, that's yet another use case for LLD on ARM, which is good. The
FreeBSD folks are interested in supporting it on their platform for
both x86 and ARM, other folks or looking at LLD on Darwin and I'm
trying to get Linaro to work on the Linux+ARM side. I think having
someone looking at the Windows side of things will make it a lot more
robust if we can all test each others' patches as we go.

> For a complete novice, what would be the expected amount of effort (days,
> weeks, months, years) to add support for a new target?

Rui gave you a good estimate, one that is close to what we had
internally: Months to get it working, a year to get it production
quality.

It may be shorter, if we count the synergy that we'll have if we all
work on it at the same time. We should also make it available (via
CMake on all platforms), so that people can easily replace bfd/gold
with it on their platforms and test.

cheers,
--renato