[cfe-dev] About Clang - Features and Goals webpage

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Apr 29 15:20:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:41:59PM +0000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:19:37AM -0700, Richard Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>wrote:
> >

> > Perhaps so, but the text being removed is not that explanation. It explains
> > why Clang 2.9 was better than GCC 4.0, which is no longer relevant to
> > anyone.
>
> --- end quoted text ---
>
> Hi,
> I agree clang needs to document why it is a good choice compared to g++-4.9.
> I believe g++-4.9.x will experience wide adoption in 2014 and 2015.
>
> One issue likely is strongly in clang's favor: g++ tends to violate the standards
> frequently as a matter of practicality. My understanding is it is deliberate
> in the context of performance and implementation details. But there is a real
> cost for folks who are not limiting their work to the g++ tool chain. I suspect
> a lot of folks would want to be informed of these differences.
>
> I speak of my experiences with g++-4.8.x and clang 3.3-xubuntu but have no idea how
> these issues play out with current releases.

g++-4.8.x -std=c++11 also includes numerous standard violations where they provide
support for a few c++14 features. I personally don't agree with it. IMO, folks who want to
use those features have the -std=c++1y available. It seems reasonable to think, once
-std=c++14 is released, they are likely going to leave those standard violations in
-std=c++11. I believe it is an unwise policy myself. But apparently a lot of folks
using g++ disagree with my view on that issue.

My understanding is clang provides much better support for the standards in this
context.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb