[cfe-dev] [RFC] A proposal for #pragma optnone

Dario Domizioli dario.domizioli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 06:06:09 PDT 2014

Hi cfe-dev!

Following the talk by Greg Bedwell at the EuroLLVM conference, which
reiterated the need for a range-based solution to selectively disable
optimizations (see
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2014-04/PDFs/Talks/GBedwell_PS4CPUToolchain_EuroLLVM2014_distribution.pdf
from
slide 80), we are now proposing a range-based pragma that decorates
function definitions in the range with the 'optnone' attribute.

Proposals like this one have not received much attention in the past, but
we are still keen to work with the community on this.

The attached HTML file describes our intentions for the "#pragma clang
optnone" feature. There is no implementation yet, but we think the feature
can be easily implemented on top of the existing 'optnone' infrastructure.
We would however like to fix things like the syntax and the semantics
before we start working on it.

We would greatly appreciate any feedback on the spec.

Cheers,
    Dario Domizioli
    SN Systems - Sony Computer Entertainment Group