[cfe-dev] Standalone tools

Kim Gräsman kim.grasman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 22:35:23 PDT 2014

Hi Jacob,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. Currently I'm telling my users to separately
> install Clang.

Do you deploy to Unix-like systems only? I'm guessing this works well
there, because everything is rooted in /usr/bin, right?

So:

  /usr/bin/your-tool
  /usr/bin/clang
  /usr/lib/clang/3.5.0/include

?

On Windows, the situation is a little different as everything installs
into C:\Program Files\LLVM, including the headers. So the only way to
have a tool find the headers would be to install it into LLVM's root
directory, which seems a little intrusive...

> For the include files, it also work to copy them to the
> standard header locations.

You mean the equivalent of /usr/lib/clang/3.5.0/include? If Clang was
installed afterwards, wouldn't they conflict?

> It would be nice if the header files could be embedded in the tool (the
> executable).

That sounds like a lovely idea.

The only obvious way I can see, given the current state, to achieve
some kind of isolation is to:
- install IWYU into /usr/bin/include-what-you-use
- install Clang headers into /usr/lib/include-what-you-use/<version>/include

For Windows, replace "/usr" with some install directory, e.g.
"C:\Program Files\IWYU"

This is assuming the headers is the only thing I need to worry about,
but for a syntax-only tool, it should be, right?

Thanks,
- Kim