[cfe-dev] Standalone tools

Kim Gräsman kim.grasman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 14:11:16 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm one of the maintainers of IWYU, a tool for cleaning up #include
dependencies.

We've experimented with releasing IWYU binaries for a select number of
platforms, but people are having problems because Clang is looking for
headers relative to the executable. There have been reports that
moving IWYU into the Clang install directory makes things work, but
this is intrusive and a number of users don't even have Clang
installed.

Is there a strategy for how to package up a standalone Clang tool so
it can be distributed? Do/can we include the headers from
...lib/clang/3.5.0/include? Anything else necessary?

(Full disclosure: we're not using Tooling just yet, but I'm guessing
that doesn't change anything)

Thanks,
- Kim