[cfe-dev] About Clang - Features and Goals webpage

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Apr 23 02:21:04 PDT 2014

23.04.2014, 07:04, "Sylvestre Ledru" <sylvestre at debian.org>:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to update this page:
> http://clang.llvm.org/features.html
>
> In particular, I would like to remove most of the information relative
> to performances. This for various reasons:
> * It is better if we leave third parties to do "independent" benchmark.
> * We compare Clang (version unspecified) with gcc 4.0 or 4.2.
> * The graphs have not been updated for a while.
> * Clang is well known now. I don't think we still need to explain why
> Clang is great.

I disagree about the latter. Clang has a long-standing reputation of compiler
which is faster than GCC, but generating slower code than GCC. On the other hand,
recent releases of GCC greatly improved compilation speed, memory consumption,
and diagnostics.

So it would be useful to explain why Clang is still great when we have GCC 4.9.

> Any objection if I apply the attached patch?
>
> Cheers,
> Sylvestre
>
> ,

Regards, Konstantin