[cfe-dev] Clang crashes after update to 3.4 for precompiled header.

yogeshbhumkar yogesh.hifi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:21:33 PDT 2014

Hello,I am working on a c++ project with lot of legacy code. In the project,
we are using precompiled headers. After we updated clang++ to version 3.4,
for some files which includes precompiled header, clang started to crash
with this message*Assertion failed:
Reader.getContext().getLangOpts().Modules && "already deserialized this
template specialization", file
/s/ndk-toolchain/src/llvm-3.4/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Serialization/ASTReaderDecl.cpp,
line 649*
If I disable use of precomiled headers and instead use .h as it is, then
clang doesn't crash.
I am new to clang, so I am not aware such crashes.
What is meaning of this assert? What are scenarios in which this assert
fails? What are workarounds for such scenarios?
There is another issue.After clang++ crashes, I am not able to figure out,
which line(s) caused the crash. Is there way to find out what line clang was
working on before it crashed? Does it store some log to temporary files?