[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Thu Oct 31 11:07:21 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 31 October 2013 10:14, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, I do
>> say we need better build bot coverage for MSVC tracking than what we
>> have today, so hopefully that is part of the discussion when talking
>> about "supported" compiler versions.
>

> That is a good point, and goes in both directions.
>
> In one way, if we say we "support" compilerA, we should have a buildbot
> running with it on the platforms we say we support it. But in the other way,
> if we don't have such a buildbot, than we could even say we "don't care",
> which is a bit harsh.

"Don't care" is a bit harsher than I was going for.  More like: "don't know."

> So, while I agree we should track all compilers, I think that the people
> that are interested in keeping support for their preferred compilers should
> be the ones adding the buildbots, or there would be less arguments for
> keeping support for those compilers. Pretty much how it happens with
> untested, unsupported features and back-ends.

I think we're in agreement here.  I wasn't proposing to track all
compilers, but if we're (as a project) claiming to support a
particular compiler version, we should at least have a build bot for
it that's kept in a reasonably clean state, likely by the people who
care about that compiler.

~Aaron