[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Oct 30 23:46:14 PDT 2013

On 30 October 2013 23:20, Ted Kremenek <kremenek at apple.com> wrote:

> >  Immediately after each branch of a release, mainline can move the bar
> forward by 6 months. Thus, each release should build with the four previous
> releases.
>
> If we cannot predict how fast the MSVC++ toolchain will move, how can we
> commit to such a regular adoption rate of new C++ features?

So, I didn't take Chandler's words that literally, but even if you do, four
previous releases means 2 whole years. Given current interest from
Microsoft towards C++ compatibility in their compiler, and the capacity
they have of getting things done (basically, money), I'd be surprised if
they'd fall behind for that long.

In time, you could have an MSVC that lags behind more than 2 years, but by
then, we could easily relax the constraints. C++ could stop evolving too
fast, or it could be so fast that MS will have to keep up no matter what,
who knows?

Overall, I think the current movement is to start the change, not to kill
projects. As Chandler said, if there are good reasons to delay or to not
support this and that feature, by all means, let us know. But if you're
able to move on to newer VC versions and avoid holding everyone else back,
that'd be great. I don't think anyone is trying to push anything down
anyone's throats, nor will we do that in the future.

cheers,
--renato