[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 17:53:44 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>wrote:

> On 10/29/13 07:01 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
>

>> [As an aside: I use libc++ for my Clang development (on Ubuntu Linux),
>> and it works for me (tm). This is with libstdc++ providing the ABI pieces,
>> rather than libc++abi or libcxxrt, though.]
>>
> libc++ "works" for us as well, but it can't self host. I don't know if
> your "works" and my definition of works is 1:1. Can your clang+libc++ build
> itself multiple levels deep?

Yes. I use my system g++ for my stage1, I use that compiler to build my
stage2, and I use my stage2 bootstrapped compiler for all my development
work. I rebuild my stage2 every few months.

I don't think I've ever explicitly checked that I get stage2 == stage3, but
stage2 produces working compilers, but I'm doing a full bootstap now and
I'll let you know when it's done.