[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 13:41:04 PDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 8:31 AM, Benjamin Kramer wrote:
> Then there's the long list of linux distros. I looked at those supported by Clang's toolchain config right now.
> - Debian has (finally) switched to GCC 4.7. I don't think supporting old stable (Debian 6 is from 2011, GCC 4.4) really helps anyone.
> - RHEL/CentOS is still on GCC 4.4 as far as I know. This is a problem if not solved within the next 6 months.
libstdc++ 4.4 is extremely broken with respect to C++11 code, to the
point that using clang 3.3, libstdc++, -std=c++11, and #include <vector>
is a nightmare to even work around. I discovered this recently when
having to make such code compile on an RHEL system.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer