[cfe-dev] How to build libc++ with LLVM/Clang 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

Laryx Decidua laryx.decidua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 00:07:58 PDT 2013

I have successfully built and installed LLVM and Clang 3.3 on OS X 10.6.8
"Snow Leopard". Then I tried to compile libc++ with my new clang++ but
could not figure out the right settings: none of the options listed on the
page http://libcxx.llvm.org/ work, usually some header is missing. Which is
no wonder as these hints are for Linux only.

I googled until my fingers bled :-) but could find only instructions on how
to compile libc++ for OS X 10.7 Lion or 10.8 "Mountain Lion". For the
latter it is not even necessary as Apple ships the full LLVM/clang++/libc++
toolchain there with XCode 5.0. However, on 10.6 one gets only XCode 4.2.

I know that the simplest solution would be to upgrade to OS X 10.8 but for
certain reasons that would take too long to explain (has to do something
with my workplace) I cannot do this.

Could someone please help me by sending me a short description of how to
compile libc++ with clang++ V3.3 on Snow Leopard? Private mail would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Laryx
laryx dot decidua at gmail + the obvious com suffix