[cfe-dev] building LLVM/Clang on Windows 7 x64 using MinGW/MSYS

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 10 11:52:21 PDT 2013

G M <gmisocpp at gmail.com> writes:

> I build clang and llvm every day with the rev5 version of mingw found here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-windows/releases/4.8.1/64-bit/threads-win32/seh/
>
> I use a recent version of cmake and ninja and it works pretty fine. Memory
> is something to keep an eye on though..

Please note that ninja will launch multiple parallel jobs (default is 6
on a non-hyperthreaded machine with 4 cores) and g++ 4.8.1 has a
"feature" that makes it much more memory hungry than 4.7.x. `ld' on
Windows always was a memory hog, so with all that put together it is
easy to end running out of memory.

My advice is that, unless you have plenty of RAM and a 64bit toolset,
pass something like -j3 to ninja when building with g++ 4.8.1.