[cfe-dev] Can we make libcxx headers more modular for faster compilation?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Oct 2 05:05:22 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, including iostream also includes:
>
> iostream:38:
> ios:216:
> __locale:15:
> string:439:
> algorithm:627:
> memory:603:
> tuple
>
> That's tons of baggage which slows down compilation significantly.

Have you measured it? Especially for non-trivial translation units? I have
tried, and been unable to measure significant (> 5%) changes by minimizing
standard library includes.

Also, we're working on C++ modules which will largely eliminate *any* cost
associated with "bundling" together N different headers as part of a
library.