[cfe-dev] Compilation time regression?

Bart Janssens bart at bartjanssens.org
Sat Nov 23 14:00:44 PST 2013

Hello,

I recently upgraded from "Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.24)
(based on LLVM 3.2svn)"
to "Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)"
and noticed a large increase in compilation time for our code, which
relies heavily on Boost Proto.

The problem is confirmed using a small test (attached), yielding the
following compilation times:
Clang 3.2 OS X binaries from the site: 1.69 s
Clang 3.3 OS X binaries from the site: 7.93 s
The LLVM3.3 Apple version: 10.66 s

Is this a bug, or is there some setting that can be changed to speed
up the compilation of this kind of template code? The new version
seems to use only about half as much RAM as before, so maybe there's
some memory/speed trade-off?

Kind regards,

Bart