[cfe-dev] CodeGen issue with atomic_load_n

Beren Minor beren.minor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 03:11:21 PST 2013

Hello,

I found some strange codegen output when playing with Clang's
implementation of GCC atomic builtins and would like to know if this is
some expected behavior or known issue.

The test case is very simple, and the disassembly can be seen here:
http://bit.ly/18LED7t

It looks to me that these instructions after the load are unnecessary, and
GCC does not generate them:
    movl    %eax, -4(%rsp)
    movl    -4(%rsp), %eax

After investigating, it appears that this is caused by the volatile
qualifier of the pointer parameter. Without it, the generated code is the
same as GCC.

It looks like the volatile qualifier is propagated to some temporary
variable that Clang uses in the LLVM IR, and after storing the atomic load
result in this temporary, it has to reload it again before returning it.
Showing the IR with -emit-llvm exhibits clearly this issue.

It seems to me that is is unnecessary to make this temporary volatile,
isn't it?
--
Beren Minor