[cfe-dev] "clang.org"

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Nov 13 08:37:56 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com> wrote:

> While building llvm/clang from sources is entirely feasible, it requires
> setting up a non-trivial build environment, especially on Windows. The
> recently posted instructions setting up a windows builder summarize the
> process very well and show what's involved.
>
> If we'd like to make clang a popular compiler (as it should!) this process
> in unreasonable. Someone wishing to just use clang wants a simple one-click
> solution and not a process setting it up. If not clang, he'll find his one
> click solution either with Visual C++ Express free edition or one of the
> MingW distributions.
>
> The standard is to have a big DOWNLOAD button featured on the front page.
> This leads directly to the Windows installer (one-click!) or at most to a
> list of the last stable version pre-built binaries with the Windows as the
> default.
> Why Windows? because that's what Windows users are expecting.
> In other OS downloading sources and configure/make is reasonable as 1) the
> users are usually more knowledgeable and 2) the build environment is mostly
> (all?) ready. Not so with Windows.
>
> The downloading process should be EZ : mindless and requires as few clicks
> as possible. Some practical examples are:
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/
> https://netbeans.org/
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/
>
> additional non-links should lead to development (ToT) pre-built binaries,
> web browsable sources and svn/git instructions. It is also be nice to have
> downloadable sources as tar/zip such as available on some sites as for some
> users installing svn/git may be a showstopper.
>
> Specifically, on the current llvm site, the download link should be more
> prominent.

I agree.

It should list the pre-built binaries at first. It should link to the
> Windows pre-built binaries which currently are well hidden on the alpha
> site.

I'd rather keep the development builds somewhat hidden.  They are alpha,
after all.  When we do the 3.4 release, we should make a Windows installer
and put it with the other binary packages, which are currently the most
discoverable.