[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Tue Nov 12 10:20:18 PST 2013

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

>> If we say we support 4.7.x, then I don't think we should use c++11
>> features that aren't supported and working on all 4.7.x versions.
>
> Why not just explicitly say 4.7.1 and later?  Are there any buildbots
> that build with 4.7.1 yet?  If not, that should be a prerequisite to
> making the move.

Does that statement include 4.8.x and beyond?

My main concern, as outlined in another message I just sent, is what
"4.7.1 and later" means in terms of support from upstream.  Do the
inevitable problems discovered get worked around in the LLVM project
sources or are problematic compilers simply noted as such in the
documentation, potentially forcing users to upgrade their toolchain
again?

I can see tradeoffs with each strategy.  It's important to be clear so
we have proper expectations.

I'm pushing on this because although most toolchain upgrades are simple,
when they go bad they go REALLY bad.  It's a risk that has to be
managed.

                               -David