[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Nov 11 11:09:48 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> writes:
>
> > Nothing. And adding a note to the release won't make it come faster
> > "just because". I think it's perfectly reasonable to wait a few month
> > in 3.5 trunk for every one to accommodate.
>
> Just to be clear, that should be a few months from the time the new
> required toolchain versions are posted on the web site.  An e-mail is
> good too but those are easy to miss.  This is important enough to have
> a permanent announcement somewhere.
>
> As far as I know no decision on specific versions has been made.

To quote my summary email: "This will at least include Visual Studio 2012
on Windows, and Clang 3.1 or GCC 4.7.x on Mac and Linux."

These versions were in my original email and in the release notes update.

The biggest debate has been around 2010 vs. 2012 (we decided 2012 was
viable and desirable), and on which value of 'x' to use in GCC 4.7.x. My
suggestion would be "whatever version of 'x' is on your distro", and if
other distributions come with other versions, we'll test them and try to
make them work. 4.7.0 was fairly broken, but 4.7.1 seems to have been quite
stable and to have gotten into essentially all of the recent releases I've
checked. I've not heard any objections to these versions with specific
problems they present.