[cfe-dev] What are the plans for creating a Windows Binary Release of Clang?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Nov 11 10:24:01 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM, "C. Bergström"
<cbergstrom at pathscale.com>wrote:

> On 11/12/13 12:59 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>
>  On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Devin Crumb <bitogre at gmail.com <mailto:
>> bitogre at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     But I think there should still be an effort to get Clang to have a
>>     binary release that can be used independently and does not require
>>     MSVC or Mingw.
>>

>> This is (at the moment) an explicit non-goal of the folks working on this
>> as part of the open-source project. Myself and several others would argue
>> strongly against pursuing it. We're not going to (both because we don't
>> want to and because we couldn't succeed even if we did) replace Visual
>> Studio or provide an alternative to it. Our primary goal is to complement
>> and integrate with it as best we can.
>>
> /*
> I love the terms "we" and "our" - Kindly don't speak others - While such
> lofty goals may be ridiculous or not interesting to *you*.

I can speak for some others. ;]

Notably, I'm summarizing the position of most of the contributors to LLVM's
Windows support, and I'm summarizing the essential aspects of the open
source project's direction. Certainly, others are welcome to pursue other
directions, but I'm trying to set expectations appropriately.

*/

> *My* view is that both a Mingw* and MSVC toolchain alternative is
> absolutely necessary.

Sure. However, as you point out, you aren't contributing any patches in
this direction.