[cfe-dev] Summary: LLVM and Clang planning to enable some subset of C++11 *after* the 3.4 release!

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Nov 8 06:38:23 PST 2013

In article <CAGCO0Kh8xPMHt7PfJ2gWt+EUh1tdKNA7xAX4XJYw0jWwzOqoDQ at mail.gmail.com>,
    Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

> We are still interested in understanding any problems or challenges this
> will present to users and contributors to LLVM and Clang, so don't feel
> like the discussion is over or the decision can never be reversed. =] I
> look forward to your comments, but consider at least skimming the previous
> thread to avoid repetition. (I know its too long....)

We've had urls pointing to tables of feature sets that are supported
across all the tool chains of interest.

What if we created a simple file in unit test form that contained examples
of the minimal support and included that in the build?

Then buildbots would tell us whether or not our idea of minimal
support works in practice?

If there's a C++11 feature you want to use, you can add it to this
file and let buildbots tell you if it is going to work.

I'm not sure how the buildbots are set up for clang; where I work we
have a way of invoking the buildbots on my changes that are not yet in
the master repository.  Since clang uses subversion instead of a
distributed VCS, I'm not sure how/if this would work.