[cfe-dev] Doxygen 1.8.4 uses libclang to improve parsing

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon May 20 10:53:54 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM, David Röthlisberger <david at rothlis.net>wrote:

> On 20 May 2013, at 18:19, Dimitri van Heesch wrote:
> > I'm pleased to announce that as of version 1.8.4 doxygen can optionally
> use libclang to
> > provide a more accurate source browsing experience, and better syntax
> highlighting,
> > cross referencing, and call graphs.
>

> Great news! How does it work: How does doxygen get hold of the compiler
> flags that it needs to pass to clang?
>
> (This is the hardest thing I've found with any clang-based tooling.)

We designed a whole system to solve this problem. Some documentation:

http://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html#json-compilation-database-format-specification
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LibTooling.html#writing-a-standalone-tool

It would be best to re-use this work so that all of the tools use the same
platform for communicating with build systems.