[cfe-dev] Adding -fuse-ld= support to clang

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Sat May 18 22:02:59 PDT 2013

David Chisnall <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> +    // Fall through and run the system linker - we could do a hard error here,
> +    // but we may as well try and see if it works.

 I think it's better to have an error here. As is, if someone says to
 use a particular linker, but it's not available, we may use a different
 linker. In some cases, this is fine: we're able to link, so what's the
 problem? I'm concerned that this will make certain problems hard to
 debug, where we expect to use  particular linker, but some path problem
 or the like leads to using another.

Is there an advantage to falling back to the system linker when somebody
explicitly asks for a different one?