[cfe-dev] naked attribute

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Fri May 3 10:51:29 PDT 2013

The original intent when the naked attribute to clang / llvm was added
had been to make it work on all the platforms regardless whether gcc
supports it or not.

The main motivation is that in LLVM case everything is done in
target-independent way.

I really do not see a point of warning here, especially given that gcc
side is largely undocumented.

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
<rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree. At least in the clang/llvm mode where we don't care about strict
>> compatibility with gcc.
>>
>> For the serious  embedded programmer, this is a life saver and helpful
>> friend.
>
> OK, so what about:
>
> * On targets where gcc supports this attribute, we support it too, no warnings.
> * An targets where gcc doesn't support it, we get two options.
>   1. Implement it and have a warning that this is a clang extension
>   2. Don't implement it and warn about an ignored attribute (like gcc does).
>
> If a target follows 1 or 2 is mostly dependent of llvm having
> implemented the naked attribute on that target.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov