[cfe-dev] [libcxx] RFC: C++14 and beyond

Matthieu Monrocq matthieu.monrocq at gmail.com
Thu May 2 10:50:00 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Jonathan Sauer <jonathan.sauer at gmx.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > This isn't an argument for not adding post-C++11 items to libc++.  It is
> simply an argument that we should provide a way for platforms and clients
> to choose:
> >
> > 1.  What is the default C++ standard libc++ is going to adhere to for a
> given platform?
>
> The same standard that clang uses for compilation (-std=c++xx). Not sure
> if that would work with
> gcc, though.
>
> This might also be a problem when libc++ is shipped with the OS (as is the
> case on MacOS X).
>
> > 2.  How do clients override the default?
>
> By appropriately defining a configuration macro (like the already existing
> _LIBCPP_DEBUG2).
>
> How do the inline namespaces that libc++ already uses play into this?

That's an interesting question, I think.

At what level of granularity should a client be able to "override" the
default ? Personally, given the absence of guarantees in the "which header
includes which other header" I believe that it should be set at library
level.

And I agree with Jonathan that probably this should be reflected in an
inline namespace "bump" to avoid accidental inconsistencies.

-- Matthieu