[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Handling SRet on Windows x86

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Mar 28 13:35:15 PDT 2013

Anton Korobeynikov <asl at math.spbu.ru> writes:

>> How can having an MSVC compatible compiler be to the detriment of clang and
>> llvm? No one is trying to break mingw here, merely add support for something

I'm all for a Clang++ compatible with MSVC++. I'll love to replace
MSVC++ with Clang++ as my Windows compiler. That's not what arguing
about.

I'm saying that anything that could suggest that MSVC++ is more
desirable than the other compilers is not only unfair, but would go
against Clang's interest because Clang will sooner get full MinGW
drop-in capability than MSVC++ drop-in capability. So any detriment to
the technical merits of MinGW would affect Clang too for a long time.
Naming APIs on a way that privileges MSVC++ hurts MinGW and Clang.

>  - isTargetMingw() - with obvious meaning
>  - isTargetMSVC() - with obvious meaning
>  - isTargetWindows() which will include all the flavours (so only OS
> will matter here)
>  - isTargetWindows() can be combined with existing 32/64 bit checks
>
> This way we'll end with something being non-ambiguos.

+1