[cfe-dev] libclang: failing assert

Erik Verbruggen erik.verbruggen at me.com
Thu Mar 21 14:33:33 PDT 2013

Maybe a bit of explanation might be needed here to explain the "why" part..

What is done in that patch is to
a) iterate over all tokens, and select (copy) all those that are of the CXToken_Identifier kind into another array, and then
b) call clang_annotateTokens with that specific array

So not all tokens are queried, but only the identifiers, which somehow seems to trigger the assert.

The reason is that when doing semantic highlighting for C/C++/ObjC/ObjC++, only identifiers can get a different meaning/use when the preprocessor is involved, or be marked with their specific kind of declaration. The reason for selecting only the identifiers is that querying only for these tokens already flagged up as a significant cost when doing time profiling (back in the (I think) 3.0 days). I could change the code to ask for all tokens and skip the less interesting ones, but I was wondering if that would be band-aid to work around a bug in clang_annotateTokens or not. Hence my question on what that assert actually checks.

That said, I do have to come back to my remark about removing the assert and that showing no impact. After using it like that for some real code-editing, I noticed that the first couple (10? 20? 50?) identifiers do not get annotated correctly. Well, not at all. Which would actually be kinda fine with me, but then I'm wondering why the clang_annotateTokens function takes a list of tokens, instead of, say, a TU.

I'm kind of curious about that assert, and might find some time to look into it, but I'd appreciate some help/explanation on what's being checked there before I do that.

-- Erik.