[cfe-dev] equivalent option in clang for gcc --exclude-libs

Peng Cheng gm4cheng at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 08:32:06 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am creating a shared libary from some objs and a static libary ( e.g.,
llvm, a 3rd party static lib ).  the static library is only used by
functions in the objs, and is not intended to be exposed to shared library
clients.  so, I do not want to export symbols in the static library, to
avoid potential name conflict when this static library is also linked into
other shared libraries.

with gcc, I am using --exclude-libs to remove symbols in static library.

while with clang, it seems there is no such equivalent option.

my questions are that:

1. are there any equivalent options in clang, but with different name?

2. if not, are there any workaround ( besides adding export/import
declaration in the source code of the static library, which is out of my
control ) ?

3. I am pretty sure that linux is using a common name space for shared
library symbols, which tends to cause name conflicts.   what about maci and
windows?

Your help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

-Peng