[cfe-dev] Trying to build libcxx/libcxxabi on Linux 64 bit

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 05:07:09 PDT 2013

Hello. I am interested in testing my C++ programs against libcxx build
on Linux with libcxxabi, mostly to see if using a different toolchain
than the GCC/libstdc++ would find out any bugs in my software. I am
running Kubuntu Raring 64 bit and my system's clang is 3.2, g++ and
libstdc++-4.8-dev is 4.8.1.

I have checked-out the libcxx and libcxxabi SVN. From
http://libcxx.llvm.org/ I read the following instructions:

"""Build on Linux using CMake and libc++abi.
You will need to keep the source tree of libc++abi available on your
build machine and your copy of the libc++abi shared library must be
placed where your linker will find it."""

So I go to the libcxxabi directory. There is no README.txt or
INSTALL.txt file to tell me how to build the "copy of the libc++abi
shared library", but I see a script buildit under <tree-root>/lib.
However upon executing it I get the following errors:

$ ./buildit
+ clang++ -c -g -O3 -fPIC -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fstrict-aliasing
-Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wsign-conversion -Wshadow -Wconversion
-Wunused-variable -Wmissing-field-initializers -Wchar-subscripts
-Wmismatched-tags -Wmissing-braces -Wshorten-64-to-32 -Wsign-compare
-Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wstrict-overflow=4 -Wunused-parameter
-Wnewline-eof -I../include ../src/abort_message.cpp
+ clang++ -c -g -O3 -fPIC -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fstrict-aliasing
-Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wsign-conversion -Wshadow -Wconversion
-Wunused-variable -Wmissing-field-initializers -Wchar-subscripts
-Wmismatched-tags -Wmissing-braces -Wshorten-64-to-32 -Wsign-compare
-Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wstrict-overflow=4 -Wunused-parameter
-Wnewline-eof -I../include ../src/cxa_aux_runtime.cpp
../src/cxa_aux_runtime.cpp:14:10: fatal error: 'typeinfo' file not found
#include <typeinfo>
         ^
1 error generated.

Please help me do the build correctly. Thank you.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा