[cfe-dev] [3.3 Release] Release Candidate 2 Available

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Sat Jun 1 15:17:01 PDT 2013

On 06/01/2013 09:53 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
> Distributions can create multiple packages to suit multiple needs (like boost,
> binutils, vim, eclipse, etc) and this is the main target of those tips. Not to
> make every release like that, but how to tune the build to a particular purpose
> so distro folks can make the best judgement.

OK. If the binary tar balls are not meant for end users but to be merely a
product of the default build options for testing, then this does not matter.

I thought they were provided for user convenience, e.g., when using in
distributions that do not ship/backport new LLVM versions to all their
releases, which is the usual case.

In my case I found it convenient to download a binary package for a Pentium 4
with an Ubuntu 12.04 for which it takes pretty much a day to build it from
sources, until I found it doesn't have the shared lib I need (and AFAIU not
the RTTI either). Well, I continue building from the sources like previously,
not a big deal.

--
--Pekka