[cfe-dev] [3.3 Release] Release Candidate 2 Available

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sat Jun 1 14:09:42 PDT 2013

On 1 June 2013 21:07, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:

> The default build options are optimized for us developers (if
> anything) rather than anyone's actual use of LLVM.

Yes, and this is why...

Realistically, I don't see our binaries being used for much except
> experimentation.

Furthermore, while this is true...

> which we should make as easy as possible.

Enabling RTTI and Exceptions by default have the undesired side-effect that
core development will, sometimes unintentionally, start using it and we'll
create a necessity, when previously we had the option.

Leaving those options disabled by default have little to do with ease of
use, but with design decisions that I don't think should change, just for
the sake of usability.

Usability can be controlled at a package level (or build level), and that's
the job of the distribution packaging process, or the expert developers,
not the tool itself.

The options are there, and even documented to make the advanced
building/packaging easier, but making that a default is teaching the wrong
lesson.

Our binaries are not used that much to warrant being user-friendly.
Production environments should use pre-packaged binaries, specialized
packages or hand-crafted tar-ballz, and not the "default" binaries.

If anything, those binaries are a reference, to which you'll compare your
specialized build to see what gain you had, or what functionality you're
missing. End users should do none of that, and rely on DEB and RPM
packages, and complain to their distribution managers to pack this or that
feature next time.

cheers,
--renato