[cfe-dev] llvm.org bug trend

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Jul 30 11:47:49 PDT 2013

On 07/31/13 01:31 AM, Robinson, Paul wrote:

> Over most of the past year, I have been keeping an eye on the overall
> LLVM.org open-bug count.
>
> Sampling the count (almost) every Monday morning, it is a consistently
> non-decreasing number.
>
> I thought I’d post something about it to the Dev lists, as the count
> broke 4000 this past week.
>
> For your entertainment here’s a chart that Excel produced from the
> data. (To make it more
>
> dramatic, I carefully did not use a proper zero point on the X-axis.)
>
> I do not have per-category breakdowns, sorry, just the raw total.
>
> Makes me think more seriously about cruising the bug list for
> something that looks like
>
> I could actually fix it…

More users and more bug reports - I wouldn't be surprised if the hidden
number of "bugs" was over 10k. Is there a way to get bugs fixed per
month or per week? Even if that number was decreasing I'd just attribute
it to llvm/clang stabilizing and things becoming more complicated to
fix. By comparison how many open issues does gcc currently have. I'm not
trying to take away from your point, but there's probably not magic bullet.

Maybe a bug fix month? (Trying to sort out a bunch of low hanging fruit
that new developers may be able to fix?)