[cfe-dev] Why no Debian package for libc++?

Sian Mountbatten poenikatu at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 01:22:29 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-29 08:48, Arji Cot wrote:
> Well FreeBSD is not Linux, also llvm is a project mainly focused on
> Mac OS, and MAC OS is part of the BSD world, no surprise that if
> something is supported under MAC OS, it's probably portable under any
> other BSD OS.
>
> The main reason why I'm not sharing your view is simple: if this is
> true I can't explain why the llvm project keeps considering libc++ and
> libc++abi as "experimental" under linux. I mean if you can even build
> the kernel and libc++ really is libstdc++-free and libsupc++-free what
> else do you need to mark it as a reliable library ?
>
> 2013/7/29 Ben Pope <benpope81 at gmail.com <mailto:benpope81 at gmail.com>>
>
>     On 29/07/13 14:55, Arji Cot wrote:
>     > Those are dynamically linked libraries, for what you know you
>     could have
>     > libsupc++ statically linked to your libc++/abi or to at least of
>     those
>     > libraries.
>
>     Its a fair point, but...
>
>     > I'm not aware of any linux distribution or libc++ build under
>     linux that
>     > is just using libc++ without libstdc++ or libsupc++, for what I
>     know, at
>     > this point in time, libc++, at least under linux, is using
>     libstdc++ and
>     > libsupc++ to provide a complete C++ support and filling the
>     blanks that
>     > are still not supported by the library.
>
>     FreeBSD 10 has switched to libc++ and libcxxrt and is working
>     towards a
>     C++ toolchain that is free of GPLv2, according to the docs, it doesn't
>     rely upon libsupc++:
>
>     https://wiki.freebsd.org/NewC%2B%2BStack
>

>     > I think that libc++ will reach the indendpence from the GNU libs
>     if and
>     > only if it will provide a complete C++ environment.
>
>     As far as I know it pretty much does, aside from using libgcc_s which
>     may be replaceable by libunwind.  In order to link against other
>     libraries on the system, some of these bits are required anyway,
>     it's a
>     convenience thing.
>
>     I don't think there is very much stopping a linux distribution
>     switching
>     entirely to libc++ with libcxxrt and libunwind, dropping GCC entirely.
>     Of course, it would be a massive pain for the users when they have to
>     build everything from source as practically no binary in existence
>     today
>     will work on their system.

Someone on this list told me that on Debian jessie (testing), there is
an implementation
of libc++ and libc++abi. I have, accordingly, upgraded my system from
wheezy to jessie
and install those two libraries. That means that apart from the GNU
libc6 library, I am not
using GNU software for software development.

I have to say that I have linked against libc++ without the need for
specifying libc++abi. Using
the command 'ldd target' shows that it does not use libc++abi.

Sincerely

--
Sian Mountbatten <http://www.poenikatu.co.uk/>
Learning C++!!!