[cfe-dev] MSVC compatible driver proposal

Kim Gräsman kim.grasman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 09:20:26 PDT 2013

Hi Reid, Hans,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
> I'd like there to be a cl.exe compatible clang driver.  I think the best way
> for this to work is to have the existing clang driver detect when it's being
> invoked as cl.exe, similar to how clang++ vs. clang works today.  For
> testing, there should be a -ccc-msvc option which turns on the same
> behavior [...]

I don't understand the exact responsibilities of the driver and its
different modes, but would the presence of a cl.exe-compatible
driver/mode allow Clang tools to accept cl.exe command-lines?

I'm curious, because it should be pretty easy to build a
compile_commands.json from Visual Studio project files, and that in
turn would enable tools to run on MSVC-ish code with or without CMake.

Thanks,
- Kim