[cfe-dev] Source code analysis with libclang : what is the right piece ?

Arji Cot arjicot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 03:40:49 PDT 2013

Hi, I'm a little bit confused here, what is the part of the Clang project
that allows me to do perform and code the kind of applications/tasks
described by Chandler Carruth in this talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIOGfcOH0k ?

I mean this is part of libclang, libTooling, plugins ... ?

Just so we are clear I'm interested in doing 2 things :
 - some static analysis on the syntax and on my code base just as described
in that video.
 - write a plugin for syntax highlighting ( colorful words ) and code
completion in C++ ( not python )

My confusion grows when at this point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIOGfcOH0k#t=5m06s Mr Carruth talks about
" the structure " of the Clang project and notice how "Tooling" is listed
as a different piece from "refactoring", but at this page
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Tooling.html#libtooling you can clearly read
that Libtooling > includes < the refactoring tools.

Maybe it's just me but can you clarify this points for me ? Can you name
some headers or parts of the library that I can locate on my llvm
repository to understand what is the part of the project that I need ?

Thanks a lot.