[cfe-dev] [libc++] FYI: FreeBSD libc++ status

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 07:43:55 PDT 2013

On 17 Jul 2013, at 15:14, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com> wrote:

> I've wondered if libc++'s locale ought to be built on ICU instead of xlocale.  I don't know the answer to that question.

Definitely not.  ICU is a huge dependency, has a relatively rapidly changing API and does vastly more than is required.  The C++11 locale APIs were designed to be easy to implement on top of the POSIX2008 Locale APIs, (which were originally xlocale on OS X).  We just didn't do so in the most efficient way - the locale_t is already reference counted and so we don't need to do as much copying as we do for the facets.

> I've hesitated in adding <cuchar> because I can't test it.  However if you can add and test it, that would be a welcome addition.

My version of the draft spec says almost nothing about this header, other than it exists.

David