[cfe-dev] Is there a tool that restores a previously saved AST?

Daniel Albuschat d.albuschat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 15:28:16 PDT 2013

Hi there,

I recently started looking into the Clang project and have to admit that I
would never have expected it to be that mature. And I really appreciate the
design decisions that lead to Clang being that re-usable and flexible. I
think you're doing each and every C++ programmer a great favor and Clang
will spawn an immense number of awesome tools in the future that we
previously might not have imagined being possible to implement.

Enough praising, here is my actual question:
Is there any tool that reads an AST, saves it to some file or database, and
later is able to *restore* that AST completely (e.g. to be able to create
LLVM IR from it)? I'm trying to do something similar, so it'd be nice to
know whether someone did that before.
The precompiled header implementations should do something like this,
shouldn't they? Is their AST representation complete, or are they missing
things like control-flow?

Greetings,

Daniel Albuschat