[cfe-dev] PR15105: __attribute__((noreturn)) and noreturn function types

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Jan 30 11:25:20 PST 2013

On 01/29/2013 06:36 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> OK. The C11 and C++11 noreturn attributes are much closer to GCC's
> model than to ours (noreturn is not ever part of the type for the
> standard attributes, so they're the same as GCC's attributes in the
> places where they're valid). I guess we're going to have to put up
> with having two different models of 'noreturn' in Clang in perpetuity.
This comment concerns me.

I'm not an expert on the new spec, but this doesn't match my (vague)
understanding of how attributes are associated with declarations.  Can
you point me towards the relevant wording?

If this really is the way the C++11 spec handles it, I'd strongly
suggest we switch to the GCC model.  Having such a major inconsistency
between the two attribute formats when one is supported by the spec
seems undesirable.

Philip Reames