[cfe-dev] Module progress?

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Tue Jan 22 11:43:12 PST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Matthieu Monrocq <matthieu.monrocq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Thomas Young <thomasyoung at free.fr> wrote:
> > > How can we help?
> >
> > Modules is a big feature, and there are a few places where one could help. Some ideas:
>
> The diagnostics, fix-its and tracking unused imports points really seem like they would just be icing on the cake.
>
> Speaking for myself, for diagnostics and fixits at least, I'd be very happy for something that works in the case where there are no errors, (in the sense that in finishes compilation and generates the desired object file result), but falls back to the 'traditional' compilation model in case of errors (so with diagnostics and fixits then being generated as necessary by existing code for this).
>
> Hello,
>
> You seem to assume that such a fallback is possible. The two models are different enough that it might not, do you have any inkling whether there is support for this fallback mechanism ?

There is no such fallback mechanism, and I don't expect we'll ever have one. Once you switch to modules, we change the compilation model for those headers that are part of modules. You can't simply import the module that contains some header A.h and also #include A.h, because the two definitions will conflict. That's the technical reason for mapping #include's over to imports, and it's quite fundamental to the design of modules.

	- Doug