[cfe-dev] How to build libc++ under Linux

bruce.r.stephens at gmail.com bruce.r.stephens at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:45:55 PST 2013

Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

[...]

> Linking against libsupc++ currently requires actually linking against
> libstdc++ because libsupc++ defines a different set of type info than
> libc++ expects. It could be fixed by conditionally adding that type
> info to libc++.

By the looks of it libc++ now links against libsupc++, and as you
suggest, that gives undefined symbol errors for some dynamic type info
symbols.

However changing clang so (when linking against libc++) it also links
with -lsupc++ works for me. It seems quite possible that the code I'm
working with doesn't actually use dynamic type information and would
crash if it did, but it does seem to link and work.

I tried linking libc++.so.1.0 wrapping -Wl,--whole-archive and
-Wl,--no-whole-archive around -lsupc++ but that gives duplicate
symbols. (libsupc++ is a static library.)

[...]