[cfe-dev] Static Analyzer symbolic execution path

Arthur Yoo phjy007 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 05:19:31 PST 2013

Thank you for your reply, Jordan.

As you said, what I want to do is to merge the two paths together. You're
right that in my previous source code sample, 'arg' and 'v' are not
referenced after the full if-statement. And as you said, they could get
cleaned out of the state being tracked. So I've made a little modification
on the code this time and it may be better:

* 1  void func(int arg) {*

* 2    int v;*

* 3     if(arg > 0)  *

* 4         v = arg + 1;*

* 5     else*

* 6         v = arg + 999;*

* 7     int a, b;*

* 8     a = 99; *

* 9     b = v;*

*10  }*

Thus, the symbolic execution path can be roughly represented as
follow(based on ExplodedGraph):

http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/a74ecc4cjw1e203yily40j.jpg

As you said, merging paths may lead to the loss of precision. I agree with
it. However, in my work, the precision requirement is not very high. For
example, for the same variable 'v', I don't care whether the values of 'v'
conflict after merging. In my work, the performance requirement is
relatively high. So if the if-else blocks are not merged, the analyzer's
original traversing will cost too much time, especially for complex source
code files.

In this way, is there any way to tell the analyzer that "after finish
traversing the block2, you should go to the block4 rather than the block3"?
If this idea is not feasible, is there any other way to realize my goal
even if I have to modify the CoreEngine. And if there was, which part
should I modify? That is, if I want to implement 'merge', is there any
other part of Clang needed to be modified in addition to CoreEngine? CFG,
AST or any other possible part?

What' more, any explanation on the mechanism of CoreEngine and the
construction of ExplodedGraph/ExplodedNode will help me.

Am I doing something stupid here? Thank you for the help.  :-)

Best regards,
Arthur Yoo

------
Best regards,