[cfe-dev] Error building clang

James Jackson james.a.f.jackson.2 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 17 02:48:11 PST 2013

Hi all,

Following my previous message about attempting to build a self-hosted version on clang / llvm, I've hit a problem with the compilation. With a clean source tree (from the trunk), and a working build with gcc (gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)), compilation of clang with clang is failing at the link step:

llvm[4]: Linking Release executable clang (without symbols)
ld: in /Users/jamesjackson/Documents/LLVM/build/Release/lib/libclangParse.a(ParseObjc.o), in section __TEXT,__text reloc 479: local relocation for address 0x00005FAE in section __text does not target section __const

This is with MacOS 10.6.8. My niavie build strategy is to have the gcc-built versions of the llvm / clang suite visible in the path, such that configure will pick them up. I get the same result setting CC and CXX by hand.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Many thanks,
James.