[cfe-dev] Noreturn adjustment for template functions

Alexander Zinenko ftynse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 05:18:39 PST 2013

Hello cfe-dev!

+Richard Smith

Investigating another issue, I found out that an instantiated noreturn
template function can't be implicitly used as not-noreturn argument while
non-template function can.
Here is an example:

void __attribute__((noreturn)) func(int i) {}

template <typename T>
void __attribute__((noreturn)) tfunc(T t) {}

typedef void (*ptr)(int);

void foo(ptr p) {}

void bar() {
  foo(func); // Okay
  foo(tfunc<int>); // Error: ... candidate function 'foo' not viable
}

It is most likely due to noreturn function representation (there was a
discussion on PR15105 lately). As far as I see, SemaOverload.cpp contains a
special case for noreturn adjustment as an implicit conversion, but it
doesn't account for templates.

One would expect consistent behavior in this case, though.
Should I file a bug for it?