[cfe-dev] Access to static protected member from friends of derived classes.

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Thu Feb 14 11:35:56 PST 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org> wrote:
> A few years ago, I was trying to fix the bug 6840 [1] that relates to access to
> static protected member from friends of derived classes.
>
> I made a patch that fixes it at the time, but it was rejected because this was
> considered as a drafting error in the standard [2].

More a defect than a drafting error, really.  I acknowledge that there's an
explicit example in the standard.  I just think that the standard is mistaken
to permit this, for the reasons already enumerated and some new ones.

Notable among the new ones is that the implicit dependence on a totally
unrelated declaration would be a major burden on any serious modules
proposal.

John.