[cfe-dev] OpenCL C

David Tweed david.tweed at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 08:35:39 PST 2013

Speaking in a personal capacity,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>wrote:

> On 17 December 2013 15:16, Pekka Jääskeläinen <pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi>wrote:
>
>> AFAIK Clover, like pocl, uses (or at least tries to) the upstream Clang
>> for an OpenCL C frontend. There are not many unimplemented features of
>> the OpenCL 1.2 language in Clang that I know of anymore.
>

> In any case, I do not understand why OpenCL C is treated as a kind of
>> a 2nd class language in Clang now, at least I get that feeling of it.
>>

> There are no guarantees that it will work on every release.
>
> The ARM back-end used to be second-class because even though there were
> some buildbots, they would randomly fail, the test-suite wasn't passing and
> not many people outside Apple would add code to it.
>
> Since a few years ago, ARM got interest, and this year Linaro, Qualcomm
> and others joined the crew and we have this amazing group of developers
> adding features and fixing bugs, we have lots of buildbots and the
> test-suite passes green every time, and every release we bootstrap, test,
> benchmark, and make binary releases. It's a lot of work to be able to stamp
> "first-class" on something, but it's worth it.
>
> I'll note that all those issues primarily of big import to a back-end (or
possibly a complete compiler). The situation with common, open-source
OpenCL is it is primarily in terms of modifications to the clang front-end
to be able to generate fully accurate AST's for OpenCL and ot issue correct
and informative diagnostics. It would be useful to see what sort of
consensus the community arises as to what ought to be being done for this
case: for a front end I suspect it's going to be generating a lot more test
cases to ensure features can only be used where the OpenCL specifications
allow them to be.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
high-performance computing and machine vision expert: david.tweed at gmail.com