[cfe-dev] OpenCL C

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc nagymatef at freemail.hu
Tue Dec 17 06:09:29 PST 2013

I would disagree on the “OpenCL users have mixed feelings” part, infact it’s just the contrary. One of the biggest flaws of SPIR is that there is no standard way of generating it from OpenCL C. Each vendor will have their own generator that will most likely be tuned for their own compilers. This might not be deliberate, but will happen, as the same people will be writing the C and the SPIR compilers. Having an unbiased SPIR generator is definately beneficial.

As to going further, generating binary (or platform dependant intermediate) from OpenCL C should be left to the end-user, but that IMHO should not affect OpenCL C being declared as a supported language.