[cfe-dev] OpenCL C

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Dec 17 05:19:13 PST 2013

On 17 December 2013 10:30, Pekka Jääskeläinen <pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi>wrote:

> I was wondering why OpenCL C is not listed in the Clang's
> supported languages in the front page? It's now quite well
> supported and is also a "C family language". Why it's not
> a "1st class language" in Clang/LLVM?

Hi Pekka,

I may be completely wrong, but I think the OpenCL users have mixed feelings
about a truly open source compiler. The lack of proper support in Clang (as
you state), the existence of many other alternatives (like Clover and all
proprietary ones) tells me that the support in Clang won't really fly
unless someone cares enough about it.

Another thing is that I see no CODE_OWNERS.txt entry for
> OpenCL C (perhaps SPIR also?). Is there someone that has
> the "final word" on patches/commits related to OpenCL support, or
> volunteering/willing to be one? I think if someone claimed
> that responsibility "officially", it would accelerate the
> progress towards improved open source OpenCL C support.

A code owner is not just the final word on the subject, but even more than
that, it's whomever is interested enough and know who to ask for expert
reviews, to progress with a feature, and not let anyone mess up.

In light of that, if you care enough about it, and don't mind being
included in patch proposals and merge requests, or spending a little extra
time reviewing patches or bugging the right people to do so, I think you
could easily be the code owner for OpenCL.

My tuppence.

cheers,
--renato